Just a quick update to put up some pics of stuff I’ve been working on recently. Well, sort of recently. I did the artillery and cavalry a good few months back now, but only got around to gluing them to their bases this weekend. All of these are glued onto bases but otherwise unbased; as usual, I’m waiting until I have them all painted up and glued to bases before I do that, so that they’ll all be uniformly based. So, here to start are some Union cavalry for Longstreet. The figures are a mix of Cracker Line, Plank Road (the old Starfort line) and Pendraken. They fit fairly well – the Plank Road horses are distinctly smaller than the Pendraken ones, and the Cracker Line ones are roughly in the middle between the other two lines, but I mixed them up anyway.
Had a few battles of the last few weeks that I haven’t had time to write up properly, so instead thought I’d do a captioned photo post. I also got in a game of Bluecher with Ernie, but since that was just using the 100 Days campaign cards, I didn’t take any pics. It still doesn’t really feel like a “proper” wargame to me if you just use cards, in the same way that I hate to play using unpainted figures. I’m working away on my French though, so I’ll be able to field an actual army soon for Bluecher, and looking forward to doing so. Maybe after I get my Ancients stuff from War and Empire painted up, I’ll do another Bluecher army (almost certainly Austrians, because Austrians) so I have a matching pair. Anyway, these are from a game a few weeks ago, when I took on Dave with yet another Hundred Years War bash:
I backed the War and Empire kickstarter campaign by Forged in Battle a while ago, which was very successful, and ended up with quite a lot of figures as a result which arrived a month or two ago. Since the figures are now about to appear on the open market, I thought I’d do a quick review of them. I’ll add pics here and there throughout this post of the figures, starting with the ones I’ve painted so far (still on their painting sticks).
Had another bash against Dan’s Mongols with my HYW English last week. Dan was looking for revenge after our initial outing, when he was soundly defeated. This time he came a little closer, but the result was inevitable – an army comprised of mostly Light Cavalry doesn’t fare too well against a mass of longbowmen and heavy foot unless he can get around the flanks, which he finally did, but too late to make a difference.
We diced of terrain as normal, and that’s where I had my first stroke of luck – obviously Dan didn’t want much terrain to get in the way, but I managed to pick 5 pieces, and my first roll enabled me to place to wherever I wanted. Then Dan rolled, and even better, I got to place that piece where I wanted too, so I ended up with two hills forming a pass to defend. A few more rolls and I ended up with woods forming flanks to those hills too – a nice position to defend.
Bluecher, Sam Mustafa’s new game, is out now, and after a short test game, I thought I’d give my opinion of these grand scale Napoleonic rules. First of all, some background: I first bought Sam’s Grand Armee not too long after it came out, and was suitably impressed; so much so that when he released Lasalle, I bought it on the day of release, sight unseen, and have done so for Maurice and Longstreet too (as well as belatedly buying Might and Reason). I’m an unashamed fan of Sam’s rules; they have just the right mix of period flavour and simplicity of design that I like, and can guarantee a game within an evening’s play.
Had yet another HYW bash this week, introducing Dave to the game. He’d played once before, but that was a while ago. Once more I split the forces into the usual lists, with some of my English proxied as French knights. Dave chose to use the English (a good choice, since they tend to win in this set up, and he also had a camp (which enabled him to use extra bonuses) whereas the French (under moi) did not. These were the initial dispositions:
Been doing some more work on my Napoleonic French for the last couple of weekends, and managed to get another four brigades done. The next four are glued to painting sticks and undercoating is tomorrow, so I can start painting them next weekend. After that I have 2 more infantry brigades, which I’ll probably do with the 2 artillery batteries I’m doing, and 6 cavalry brigades, as well as command stands (which I probably won’t need so much for Bluecher, but which I like the look of, so will do anyway, one for each corps). Not sure yet whether I’ll do all the cavalry together, or whether I’ll do light cavalry and commanders in one session, and heavy cavalry in a second session. We’ll see. Anyway, here’s the 4 new brigades:
As before, they haven’t had their basing treatments done yet – I’m waiting till I get them all painted and glued to bases before I do that, to ensure they look the same after I get them done.